Monday 5 January 2009

Who let the dogs out?

I can't confess to being a pet photographer, but when I do get to photograph pets, especially dogs, I tend to treat them as I would a portrait shoot i.e. after finding some nice soft light I'm looking for an interesting background, a bit of colour and or texture being ideal. I then like to shoot a nice, tight head and shoulders image before thinking about wider pictures.

So, a few recent images of a couple of dogs.

Firstly, Bo, the chocolate Labrador, photographed this afternoon. It was bitterly cold so it's amazing any images where sharp as I'm sure my hands were shaking so much (!):







And then Lilly, the Hungarian Vizsla, photographed late last year:





Thankfully there was some texture in the wall behind Lilly in the first image. I wouldn't want to be caught photographing her against a white background ....

Next week I'll hopefully get some hints and tips on pet photography as my good friend, and terrific pet photographer, Paul Walker is giving a couple of seminars at the Society of Wedding and Portrait Photographs annual convention in London.

No comments: