Sunday 13 July 2008

What is it about Australians?

I've been meaning to post this since late June, when I returned from a few days in North Yorkshire.

Anyway, just what is it about Australians that makes them such great photographers?

I'd booked May's Jerry Ghionis workshop way back in October, as soon as the the workshop and bookings were announced. With one or two smaller seminars later in the year that was to be it for this year. Then at the SWPP convention in January, in London, one of the speakers that I definately wanted to see was David Williams. I had read so much on various forums about David, what a fantastic teacher he is, a great photographer, and a really nice, genuine person too. I even went as far as telling a number of friends who had also gone to the convention that if they saw only one speaker, David was the one to see. He didn't just live up to expectations, he exceeded them, and then some! I determined there and then that when he was next in the UK leading one of his 'Almost Alone' workshops, I wanted to be there.

That's how I came to spend three incredible days in late June in North West Yorkshire with nine like minded photographers.

How it was only three days I have no idea as David packed some much into those three days that I am still digesting all that we did! Without giving away too many secrets from the workshop, we covered a range of related topics which I'm slowly starting to apply to my photography.

Firstly, an image of David himself, taken using his 50mm f/1.4 lens on one of my cameras, and then converted using his means of converting colour to black and white:



And then a detail minature of images taken around Keasden Church on our foray there on the Wednesday:



Big, big thanks to David for a wonderful experience. I'm looking forward to becoming a serial offender...

No comments: